Thursday, June 14, 2007

Jay Cooke State Park - Hiking (2 of 4)


Jay Cooke has over 50 miles of hiking! I can't think of a better way to see the park than getting out for a walk. I will offer a number of suggestions for hike to take, but I have yet to find on that I didn't enjoy.

The Carlton trail along with the Thomson trail generally pass along either side of the river gorge from the rangers station to the dam. Both of these trails are interesting and offer frequent access to the river. A loop can be made with these trails and will be about 5 miles long.

The Silver Creek trail is part of the hiking club trail and is a must see. It's been awhile since I did this trail, so I can only say that it was fun.

The Ogantz trail offers access to some fun falls and has some outstanding views. As a bonus nearby areas are handicap accessible. On my second day in the park I strung together about a 5 mile loop using the Grand Portage and Oak trails. These trails pass through a variety of forests and by some interesting geologic formations. The Grand Portage trail was used by fur traders some 300 years ago. The trail also passes along the St. Louis River and has some great views of the bluffs across the river. I also noticed evidence of Bear and Wolves in the area. I was told by a Ranger that there are 2 packs of wolves that claim territory in Jay Cooke State Park.

I also spoke with a couple that lived in the vicinity of the park and highly recommended the Spruce and High trails. Given the location and length of these trails, these trails would be perfect for use in conjunction with a couple of the backcountry camping sites.

If all this is not enough, the souther terminus of the Superior Hiking Trails also starts out in the park. Access is from the Grand Portage trail. I did not do this section, but am a huge fan of the trail. One thing of note is that the Superior Hiking Trail is very well blazed, which is good because it is not currently on the park map.

No comments: