Sunday, February 18, 2007

Tettegouche

Well, its mid February and its cold, too cold for me to be outside, so I thought I reminisce about what has become my favorite state park, Tettegouche. Tettegouche State Park is located along the North Shore of Lake Superior approximately 90 minutes North of Duluth.

Tettegouche has something for everyone, and in my case some of the best hiking in the Upper Midwest. The park has miles of shore on Lake Superior as well as many inland lakes. Bean Lake is shown here. Hiking trails circumnavigate the park passing ridges, lakes, and even a beaver dam. Some of the least visited areas are the most spectacular. I would recommend that everyone who loves the outdoors make it a point to hike every mile of this park. The Superior Hiking Trail (SHT) winds through the park from Beaver Bay to State Highway 1. I would recommend parking at the Beaver Bay trail head (just West of town) and catching the Superior Shuttle to Highway 1. Then hike the 12 or so miles back to your vehicle. This will be one of the best day hikes you will ever find in Minnesota. Additional day hikes will take you to overlooks and beaver habitat in the parks back country, the highest falls entirely in Minnesota, or the rugged ridges overlooking Lake Superior.

In addition outstanding hiking, Tettegouche also offers car and walk in camping, backcountry camping along the SHT, fishing, cross country skiing, snowshoeing, bird watching, fishing, a historic logging village, as well as some interpretive activities.

Many times I have been asked what my favorite park is, and I don't mince words. Tettegouche is it. If you have never been there, make plans for this summer. You can reserve campsites 90 days in advance and they do fill up. I recommend trying to get one of the walk-in sites. And, oh yeah, there are black bears, so don't be stupid...

I'm sure I will be revisiting this topic and park again in the future.

No comments: